Nontraditional Thanksgiving-- Andrew Krops

This year, it seems as if every week something changes that was typically involved in our daily lives.  We've had no choice but to make changes in our lives. From switching over in school, work, adapting to a quarantined life; it's been a mixed bag of adjustments. Especially this time of the year; the next 5 weeks are probably when families see each other most. In a pre-covid world, expressing love for your family was done by visiting them, and now it's the exact opposite. It's now a new form of respect by not seeing our loved ones.  

    The kick-off to the holiday season is Thanksgiving and in a time of such uncertainty and restrictiveness, it can be easy to resort to the thought of- what's there to be thankful for? It took me some time to build a list of gratitude for the year, aside from the ones right in front of me. I dug deeper and found gratitude in things I quickly overlooked. 

I was thankful to know how many other families across the country were doing their part and not having Thanksgiving traditionally. I realized how quickly I took for granted my family and I's health, our home, our education, our ability to talk to our family virtually. It's things like this that we can easily set to the side when we cannot control situations in life. I mention this because it is easier to focus on what we can't do and don't have rather than what we can do and have. 


Comments

Post a Comment